Thursday, October 13, 2011

What's for dinner at your house?

Mmmm, my house smells like an Italian Restaurant! Lasagna cooking in the oven and don't forget the Garlic Texas toast, ooh, just makes my mouth water writing about it. I am not one for following any sort of actual measurements when it comes to cooking. I think the only time I follow a measurement is when it comes to baking...but that's a whole other topic. Anyhow, cooking is definitely one of my favorite things to do. Whether it's a simple salad to a dang-near 4 course meal. (Yeah, I could cook for an army, you should see how big our family is..lol.)
Seriously though, I was so used to cooking for so many people all the time, that I honestly started to forget how to cook for a smaller group. Now that my family has been able to be settled into our home for three years now, I have been able to readjust the way I cook. However, measuring is still optional.haha! 
The point I was trying to get to was, my lasagna..want to know how I do it?
Note* I don't have a recipe I just kinda go with it!

For family gatherings (10-15 people, I'm just guessing, honestly) Keep in mind this is what I make for my house which there are 5 of us. Typically, half of it is put into the freezer and enjoyed later on in the month. 

1lb. ground Hamburger
1lb. ground Mild Italian Sausage
2 large can Tomato Sauce
1 can Diced Tomatoes
1 small Green Pepper (chop into small pieces)
1 small Onion (chopped into small pieces)

In a frying pan fry hamburger until fully cooked, drain and dump in larger pot. 
Fry the ground sausage until fully cooked. Drain and add to hamburger. 
In pot mix remaining ingredients. Allow to cook on low while you prepare the noodles. 

You will also need approximately a box and a half of lasagna noodles.
1-15oz. (or larger) Ricotta Cheese
1-24oz. Cottage Cheese
1-16oz. bag shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Parmesan Sprinkle Cheese

Follow the directions on the package for the noodles. Then, in a large baking pan place a layer of noodles down in the pan, followed by the meat/sauce mix, more noodles, ricotta cheese and so on. For the final layer of noodles, place a bit more meat/sauce over top followed by lots of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan sprinkle cheese. 
Place in the oven at about 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Let it bake uncovered for approximately 30 minutes. It really does not need to bake very long, the food is already cooked and the purpose of putting it in the oven is to melt all that yummy cheese! Some oven varies so I suggest to check it every few minutes to make sure that the cheese doesn't burn. ENJOY!

My family just finished eating and I got to say is "Ooh, that was Yummy Mommy!!" ~as said by my 4 year old. 

So...that was my version of a recipe, I hope it comes out as tasty for you as it does for us! Also, feel free to add ingredients, remove some, whatever to your liking. I always like to here from other so let me know how your turned out, send me a pic..post a comment. 

ShareThis